[Marketing-Public]standards compliance of Mozilla?

Peter marketing-public at mozilla.org
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:33:52 -0000

From: "oberon" <oberon@free.fr>

> Le 27/10/2003 11:28, James Graham a écrit :
> > oberon wrote:

> >> There is no browser with full CSS2.1 compliance, but Mozilla probably
> >> offers the best CSS2 support (and despite what many thinks, Opera does
> >> NOT have the best CSS support ;-) )
> >>
> > Which browser has the "best" CSS 2.1 support is a very difficult thing
> > to measure. For example I believe Mozilla is the only current-generation
> > browser that has no support for display:inline-block.  Opera has support
> > for counters (which allow you to do things like number every heading on
> > a page), whilst Mozilla has none. Safari supports text-shadow, whilst
> > Mozilla does not. There are lots of other examples of missing or buggy
> > support for CSS 2 features in Mozilla. There are tables on the web that
> > simply count the number of properties that browsers support. In general
> > this metric gives Opera a slight lead over Mozilla. But such a simple
> > test does not allow for depth of support i.e. whether a particular
> > feature works with an arbitary combination of other features.
> > Apparentley Mozilla has good depth of support for features - but this is
> > much harder to measure. My point is not that Mozilla has particularly
> > bad support for CSS - it doesn't. The point is that comparisons in this
> > area are very difficult.
> >
> >  From the point of view of the web at large, Mozilla's CSS support is
> > excellent - it is certianly not the limiting browser for CSS based
> > designs (that would be IE 5).
> >

> My personal experience is that both Opera and mozilla have an excellent
> CSS support but I often meet CSS bugs in Opera for complex layouts that
> I don't meet in Mozilla, particulary with CSS2 selectors and pseudo
> selectors which I use far more often than css counters ;-)

Re counters - build in XSLT, test in Moz (since it supports XSLT native),
and transform to HTML! It works on anything and makes better sense at the
present time.

In the main I find Mozilla easier to work with than Opera and better, I find
the Mozilla community is more helpful!
For example, this thread (group.google.com):
http://tinyurl.com/sjps
..stuff just doesn't work in Opera, and sometimes its just really really
hard to get the answers you need -- the news groups are fairly quiet so it
takes days to get a reply and often there's no work around, and the funny
part is that when there's a flaw, people don't seem to want to tell you
straight!  (sorry - just needed to vent a little!)

Not that I'm dis'ing Opera -- I do think it is a very good product, but for
me, I much prefer Mozilla.

Peter.