[Marketing-Public]standards compliance of Mozilla?

oberon marketing-public at mozilla.org
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:03:34 +0100

Le 27/10/2003 11:28, James Graham a écrit :
> oberon wrote:
>

>> Le 25/10/2003 11:11, Patrick Lee a écrit :
>>
>>> Standards compliance (and IE's lack thereof) is mentioned quite a bit
>>> around here, but where exactly are the Mozilla browsers in this regard?
>>>  For example, are they fully CSS2 compliant?
>>

>> There is no browser with full CSS2.1 compliance, but Mozilla probably
>> offers the best CSS2 support (and despite what many thinks, Opera does
>> NOT have the best CSS support ;-) )
>>
> Which browser has the "best" CSS 2.1 support is a very difficult thing
> to measure. For example I believe Mozilla is the only current-generation
> browser that has no support for display:inline-block.  Opera has support
> for counters (which allow you to do things like number every heading on
> a page), whilst Mozilla has none. Safari supports text-shadow, whilst
> Mozilla does not. There are lots of other examples of missing or buggy
> support for CSS 2 features in Mozilla. There are tables on the web that
> simply count the number of properties that browsers support. In general
> this metric gives Opera a slight lead over Mozilla. But such a simple
> test does not allow for depth of support i.e. whether a particular
> feature works with an arbitary combination of other features.
> Apparentley Mozilla has good depth of support for features - but this is
> much harder to measure. My point is not that Mozilla has particularly
> bad support for CSS - it doesn't. The point is that comparisons in this
> area are very difficult.
>
>  From the point of view of the web at large, Mozilla's CSS support is
> excellent - it is certianly not the limiting browser for CSS based
> designs (that would be IE 5).

My personal experience is that both Opera and mozilla have an excellent
CSS support but I often meet CSS bugs in Opera for complex layouts that
I don't meet in Mozilla, particulary with CSS2 selectors and pseudo
selectors which I use far more often than css counters ;-)

Pascal

--
Recursos en castellano:
Preguntas Frecuentes: http://pascal.chevrel.free.fr/pufmozilla/