[Marketing-Public]standards compliance of Mozilla?

James Graham marketing-public at mozilla.org
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:28:53 +0000

oberon wrote:

> Le 25/10/2003 11:11, Patrick Lee a écrit :
>
>> Standards compliance (and IE's lack thereof) is mentioned quite a bit
>> around here, but where exactly are the Mozilla browsers in this regard?
>>  For example, are they fully CSS2 compliant?
>

> There is no browser with full CSS2.1 compliance, but Mozilla probably
> offers the best CSS2 support (and despite what many thinks, Opera does
> NOT have the best CSS support ;-) )

Which browser has the "best" CSS 2.1 support is a very difficult thing
to measure. For example I believe Mozilla is the only current-generation
browser that has no support for display:inline-block.  Opera has support
for counters (which allow you to do things like number every heading on
a page), whilst Mozilla has none. Safari supports text-shadow, whilst
Mozilla does not. There are lots of other examples of missing or buggy
support for CSS 2 features in Mozilla. There are tables on the web that
simply count the number of properties that browsers support. In general
this metric gives Opera a slight lead over Mozilla. But such a simple
test does not allow for depth of support i.e. whether a particular
feature works with an arbitary combination of other features.
Apparentley Mozilla has good depth of support for features - but this is
much harder to measure. My point is not that Mozilla has particularly
bad support for CSS - it doesn't. The point is that comparisons in this
area are very difficult.

 From the point of view of the web at large, Mozilla's CSS support is
excellent - it is certianly not the limiting browser for CSS based
designs (that would be IE 5).