[Marketing-Public]Mimic IE UI

Michael Gordon marketing-public at mozilla.org
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:26:39 -0500

Cabello, Percy wrote:

> [...]
>benefits are not worth the additional learning required. I remembered when
>Microsoft released Word 2.0 and it was in open war against Word Perfect (the
>king of word processors then). Although they offered a new UI, they also
>offered the option of using a Word Perfect 5.1 commands and so. Until today,
>Word 2000 features a WordPerfect Help... (although the utility of it today
>is debatable, you get the point).
>
>I think Mozilla can offer a zero or near zero learning curve for switching
>to Mozilla browsers (focused, however in Mozilla Firebird). One of the main
>concerns are the terms with which each browser identifies certain features,
>for example:
>Mozilla - IE
>Bookmarks - Favorites
>Location Bar - Address Bar
>Bookmarks Toolbar - Links
>Navigation Toolbars - Standard Buttons
>Reload - Reload
>Options... - Internet Options...
>Page Source -> Source
>Cache -> Temporary Internet Files
>and so on...
>
>Also, arranging menus in a way that may be easy for user:
>Tools/PageInfo -> File/Properties
>Go -> View/Go to
>Send options go after Print options in the File menu in IE. I think this is
>a logical order since people print more frequently than send a webpage
>(considering also that the print button is not displayed by default).
>The Options window is a completely apart challenge, because of its
>complexity. But can also be redone.
>
>To be honest I don't think the IE interface is much different, better or
>worse than Firebird/Mozilla's. This is a matter of personal tastes of
>course, but all in all it works well. And again, as terrible as it can be it
>is the one most users already know. A happy medium can also be achieved I
>think.
>
>As ridiculous it may seem to me now, at the beginning, these little
>differences kept me from swithching to Mozilla at the beginning: why do I
>have to learn all this (and slow down my browsing) for so little benefit (at
>that time, before 1.0, mozilla was not as stable as today).
>Also, I think Mozilla features superiority are only perceived after using
>the product a while, and even more for non hardcore internet surfers.
>
>Once the feature is available, ask which UI the user would prefer at setup
>time. If Quick Install selected, go ahead with classic UI, but in first
>launch ask again. There should also be a preference for this.
>
>Of course, plugins handling is the main usability issue remaining. I still
>don't get why, on a plugin absense, I am directed to a webpage, instead of
>simply downloading the required plugin from a Mozilla trusted (hardcoded)
>site, where only required dll, or whatever files are downloades and not an
>EXE which requires non less than four steps for the user (download, find the
>file, install, restart); compared with one click in Microsoft's "do you

I agree that Plugins and Usability are the remaining issues for
Mozilla.  Installing a required plugin should be as simple as installing
a Mozilla Extension, click the link and Mozilla downloads and installs
the Extension.  Being directed to a web page with available plugins is
OK as it offers several different plugins, but the installation needs to
be simplified like Extensions.

In Netscape Communicator we had pages of plugins available.
What has happened to the possibility of plugins for Mozilla?
Is nobody writing them?  Why?

Michael Gordon

>I am eagerly waiting for the Firebird release of QuickManager. I think this
>extension will bring the themes and extensions feature to the real world for
>cosumers.
>
>Checked the Steven Garrity's weblog link posted and agree with it. It
>collects some previous thinking about icon cosistency, version numbers and
>adds some new for me ideas, like following OS guidelines.
>

>Percy

Character is doing the right thing...
Even when no one is watching...
http://www.armadilloweb.com