[Marketing-Public]Mozilla Design Problems

Michael Gordon marketing-public at mozilla.org
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:16:42 -0500

Jay Garcia wrote:

>On 20.10.03 05:55, Michael Gordon wrote:

No, you didn't take a wrong turn, we just took a short detour, the kind
we take all the time on East Texas freeways :-D

>>If they are it would be real polite for them to announce themselves so
>>we could have an intelligent discussion on these subjects.
>>

>I thought that some did .. Bart ??
>

>>Getting Marketing and Development (programmers) together on the same
>>topic has always been one of the more difficult tasks in industry.  If
>>the developers could understand how important these topics are to the
>>average Internet user, and could see the enormous difficulty in
>>distributing Mozilla to the general public, they (Developers) might
>>decide to jump on our side for the chance of world wide distribution of
>>their product.
>>
>>Michael
>>

>Very true. When we (Netscape Champions) were a driving force from '95 to
>'99 or so, the programmers and marketing were like water and oil, almost
>to the point of outright hatred.
>
>We need an interested liason of sorts to bridge the programmer/marketing
>gap. I'll see what I can do to call in some "favors".

I know this sounds like a "pie-in-the-sky" wish, but it might be worth a
try.

If the programmers/developers could be gathered together on an IRC chat
with the Marketing Team, and exchange what each side really wants for
Mozilla and the Mozilla family of applications, a joint understanding
might occur.  When the best ideas from the programmers, and the market
research from the Marketing Team are evaluated, those that can be
accomplished will drive the end product for Mozilla.

Pasting together a group of programming applications that are
technically doable, but not acceptable by the general public results in
a cheap application we can't give away.  On the other hand proposing
technical marvels of a new web browser suite that cannot be depended
upon to function 100% of the time results in a cheap application we
can't give away.

We can take a lesson from the PC manufacturing industry, Gateway and
Compac developed and marketed affordable PCs, but their technology could
not deliver on their promises.  Dell listened to the public and what the
public really wanted, then sat down with their design engineers and
produced a long line of dependable PCs based on what current technology
could provide and what the public really wanted in a PC.

It is the responsibility of Marketing to know what the targeted market
really wants and needs in a product, then to consult with the designers
and engineers to accomplish the goals.  When both sides agree on a
reachable goal marketing then has the responsibility to sell this new
and better product to the public.  Mozilla must come together as a
united team to reach realistic goals.

Michael Gordon

--
Character is doing the right thing...