[Marketing-Public]Mozilla Design Problems

James Graham marketing-public at mozilla.org
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 12:43:49 +0100

Michael Gordon wrote:

> Irwin Greenwald wrote:
>
>> You're absolutely right about prefs.bak in 1.5.  Now I wonder when this
>> was changed?
>>
>> Yes, getting the developers involved is the hard part.  Jay and I were
>> hoping Marketing could somehow push this.

Well the Mozilla Foundation employ some programmers (specifically I know
that Ben Goodger in on their payroll), so in theory I guess that they
can mandate that he works on particular bugs. However lots of other
contributers are either voluntary and so work on what they enjoy or are
employed by a third party (e.g. IBM) which has it's own agenda.

>> On 10/19/2003 7:12 PM, Michael Gordon wrote:
>>

> This leads to another question, is there anyone at Mozilla.org
> Marketing Division lurking on this list?

Bart Decrem

> Getting Marketing and Development (programmers) together on the same
> topic has always been one of the more difficult tasks in industry.  If
> the developers could understand how important these topics are to the
> average Internet user, and could see the enormous difficulty in
> distributing Mozilla to the general public, they (Developers) might
> decide to jump on our side for the chance of world wide distribution
> of their product.

Conversley, marketing should not just focus on Mozilla-the-browser but
also on Mozilla-the-technology. It's very easy to see the browser side
of the picture and the need for bugfixes there, but there are a lot of
developers working on the underlying framework and very little in the
way of promotion for the possibilities it offers. XUL, for example,
provides the possibility of rich GUIs to replace traditional webapps
(with all the limitations of html that implies) in intranet situations.
However there's no one saying to people "look using this technology, you
can make your staff more productive as they're not having to fight the
limitations of a html interface to get their job done". Instead people
are saying "replace your existing browser with one that does the job a
little better but suffers poorer real-world compatibity and is difficult
to install over a network".