[Marketing-Public]Mozilla Design Problems

Michael Gordon marketing-public at mozilla.org
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 05:55:51 -0500

Irwin Greenwald wrote:

>You're absolutely right about prefs.bak in 1.5.  Now I wonder when this
>was changed?
>
>Yes, getting the developers involved is the hard part.  Jay and I were
>hoping Marketing could somehow push this.
>
>On 10/19/2003 7:12 PM, Michael Gordon wrote:

This leads to another question, is there anyone at Mozilla.org Marketing
Division lurking on this list?

If they are it would be real polite for them to announce themselves so
we could have an intelligent discussion on these subjects.

Getting Marketing and Development (programmers) together on the same
topic has always been one of the more difficult tasks in industry.  If
the developers could understand how important these topics are to the
average Internet user, and could see the enormous difficulty in
distributing Mozilla to the general public, they (Developers) might
decide to jump on our side for the chance of world wide distribution of
their product.

Michael

>>I opened Microsoft Windows Explorer and navigated to my Mozilla 1.5
>>profile and left it open while I tested prefs.js.  It seems that opening
>>and closing Mozilla on a web page has no effect on saving prefs.js.
>>Opening and changing a preference setting saves the setting the moment
>>the "OK" button is pressed.  If I wait 2 minutes and then close Mozilla,
>>prefs.js is saved again with a new time stamp, and prefs.bak is saved
>>with the time stamp of the previous prefs.js file.
>>
>>It appears to me that the backup of prefs.js is occurring correctly in
>>Mozilla 1.5.  the question now is how do we get the developers to devise
>>a method of recalling prefs.bak and renaming it pref.js.
>>
>>How do we get the developers on board?
>>That is the $64,000.00 question. :-\
>>
>>Michael Gordon

Character is doing the right thing...