[Marketing-Public]MozillaonCD.com

Patrick Lee marketing-public at mozilla.org
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 19:11:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
I know we talked about these guys a while back, but I just took another
look at their site (www.mozillaoncd.com) and things have changed.  For
starters, the price has rocketed to $24.99.  This includes Moz 1.4 and
(for a "limited time") FB 0.6 and Moz 1.5a.  What a smokin' deal.  They
also have a link to the mozilla.org site, but it just goes to a page
listing hundreds of contributors and has no links back to the
mozilla.org home page.  Of course, if it did, people might discover
they can get a newer CD for $3.95 or just download anything they want
for free.  We certainly wouldn't want THAT to happen now, would we?

Finally, and this concerns me the most, they assert that:

"A portion of the profits will go to fund the direct software
development by individual contributors on the Mozilla project for
future releases."

Hmmm, judging by their shrewd choice of a useless token link to
mozilla.org, I'm guessing they'll donate, oh, five cents per CD.  No,
that's probably too much.

And finally, you gotta love the American flags, "Experience Freedom"
tagline, and the scrolling marquee (made with real <marquee> tags, no
less).  I know that only the most uninformed people on Earth would buy
from this site, but I still feel we should keep an eye on them and
anyone else doing this.  At the very least, they could spread some
misconceptions.  After all, they never mention that Mozilla is open
source software.

I don't know.  Maybe I'm overreacting.  Thoughts?

-Patrick

=====
Patrick Lee
alimadzi@yahoo.com

"Mozilla is the best web browser of 2003." - PC World
Download Mozilla (http://www.mozilla.org)