[Marketing-Public]Mozilla at Google

Michael Gordon marketing-public at mozilla.org
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:52:29 -0500

James Graham wrote:

> Michael Gordon wrote:
>
>> The point is neither where IE stands, nor the history of the IE
>> standings.  The point is where Mozilla stands today, at the very
>> bottom of the heap.  If we look very carefully at the graph we see
>> some minor upward movement for Mozilla, this needs to continue at a
>> more rapid pace.
>

> Before people get too excited about the google stats, lets make it
> clear that, in the absence of further information about how they are
> compiled and, even then, they are not at all reliable as a measure of
> absolute useage. Some examples of variables that might affect the
> stats are:
>
> Search efficiency. It is possible that, on average, IE users require
> more searches to find the same results than Mozilla users as Mozilla
> users tend to be more technically inclined on average and so may have
> better searching technique. Additionally, it is possible that less
> technically inclined users will not realise the utility of the
> bookmark and history functions and so will /always/ use google to find
> websites, even ones they have visited before.
>
> Browser functionality. How does tabbed browsing affect google hits? Do
> people who use tabs require less navigating back and forth and so
> fewer google hits? Does google count searches performed from search
> bars, or only hits on the homepage?
>
> And so on. The google stats may show a trend, but there is no good
> reason that the data itself (certianly the absolute values and maybe
> the gradient) should be considered in any way reliable.

I do not argue with your points here, you have presented valid
possibilities.  So, to advance the points on browser use on web servers
I have complied some sample statistics from some of my own web sites
hosted on Earthlink.

Site #1  IE 35%  NS 14%  (NS = Netscape 5+)
Site #2  IE 57%  NS 11%
Site #3  IE 40%  NS 9.4%

>> The suggestions I have read in this list over the last two weeks are
>> very good; they target the computer industry and professionals within
>> this industry.  What is needed for Mozilla to climb up in the "user
>> standings" is an aggressive marketing campaign targeting the average
>> Internet user.
>

> That approach probably leads to a dead end. The 'average internet
> user' see the internet as a tool and Internet Explorer as the front
> end to the internet in the same way that Explorer is the front end to
> their files, and, more generally, Windows is the front end to
> computers. Most people have no conceptual distinction between Windows
> and the computer itself; there is no reason they should have a
> conceptual distinction between the Internet and Internet Explorer.
> Mozilla's best chance for marketshare outside the tech community is in
> situations where software is mandated - either where a tech-savvy user
> acts as sysadmin for his family / mother / cousin /whatever's computer
> or in coporate situations.  People who are forced to use the browser
> at work may then consider installing it at home.  Therefore I would
> suggest that a focus on individual users is not the most productive
> way forward and, instead, people focus on making Mozilla sutiable and
> attractive for use at companies. We already have a lot of advantages
> in this area - for example the ability to create rich XUL based
> Intranet applications using existing XML/CSS/Javascript skills, the
> cross platform nature of the browser, frequent security updates, and
> so on.

Very good points, I think if you re-evaluate your thoughts you may form
the opinion you have supported my points with the average Internet
user.  There is no argument that personal recommendations
(word-of-mouth) is the best form of advertisement.  the problem area I
see is there are not enough personal recommendations for all the average
users.  When we stop and look at corporate marketing we see some
personal endorsements, but the major method of getting the product out
into the marketplace is by aggressive marketing targeted at the average
citizen.

>> Element 1.
>> The web site must describe how and why Mozilla is better than any
>> other web browser on the WWW; this must present examples of how
>> Mozilla performs user tasks in a very simple and straightforward
>> manner.  On each web page there must be at least two links for
>> delivery of Mozilla, one a free download for installing the suite,
>> the other a link for a free CD and user manual for the cost of
>> shipping and the CD disc.
>

> The new (beta) website covers most of this. It's considerably more
> user friendly than netscape.com.

I am very glad to hear about this.

>> Element 2.
>> There must be a compressive user manual written for the average
>> Internet user in plain easy to read and understand language.  This
>> manual must address each tool and preference accessible to the
>> average user.  A full description of what the tool or preference is
>> used for, and how to set the tools and preferences for the desired
>> end result.  This manual should be available in two formats, the
>> printed form that accompanies the Free CD, and a PDF version for
>> viewing and downloading.
>

> There has been a lot of effort in this area, but little coordination
> between groups. I know Daniel Wang had something slightly
> comprehensive he was preparing. Maybe you would like to search for
> Mozilla end user documentation and work on combining it into a
> comprehensive guide.

I would be happy to add my small amount of help in this project.
Would this documentation and authors be available on the Mozilla web site?
Who would I contact for more information on this project?

>> In light of the above I suggest adding a new newsgroup for New
>> Mozilla Users, and have the postings and replies archived and
>> searchable.  This will enable the current newsgroups to address
>> advanced topics and technically difficult problem solving.
>

> forums.mozillazine.org. Newsgroups are no good since the vast majority
> of people don't know they exist and/or don't know how to use them.

The learning curve is very shallow.  Newsgroups are very easy to learn,
just look at the general newsgroups that are available to almost
everyone on the Internet.  Setting up a newsgroup in Mozilla 1.4 is not
the easiest chore to perform, at least getting it to receive and send
postings.

Perhaps the simplest method for the average new user of Mozilla is to
provide links to the Mozilla newsgroup that when clicked installs the
newsgroup for the user.  I have found these links on several Netscape
and Mozilla support web sites, they work like a charm.   We simply need
to provide these links at every point where a new user is likely to seek
information about Mozilla.

James, I am not an expert in this field, however, I will be happy to
support Mozilla in any way I can.

Respectfully,

Michael Gordon

--