[Marketing-Public]Mozilla at Google

Michael Gordon marketing-public at mozilla.org
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:54:55 -0500

Ian Thomas wrote:

> Michael Gordon wrote:
>
>> Then when you see where Mozilla stands with the rest of the browser
>> community we need to do something with Mozilla Marketing and get this
>> Fire Breathing Dragon off the pavement.  I don't know how to do this,
>> someone in our vast world wide community must have some great ideas
>> on how to accomplish this goal.
>

> Quick URL: http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist/sep03_browsers.gif
> Whats your point? We all know that IE has 90%+ market share and Gecko is
> the second most recorded rendering engine, with a small but steadily
> growing percentage of users.
>
> Ian

Hello Ian,

The point is neither where IE stands, nor the history of the IE
standings.  The point is where Mozilla stands today, at the very bottom
of the heap.  If we look very carefully at the graph we see some minor
upward movement for Mozilla, this needs to continue at a more rapid pace.

The suggestions I have read in this list over the last two weeks are
very good; they target the computer industry and professionals within
this industry.  What is needed for Mozilla to climb up in the "user
standings" is an aggressive marketing campaign targeting the average
Internet user.  When AOL launched Netscape 7.x they managed to deliver
20 million CD copies through the Netscape.net portal, there has been no
accounting how many copies were downloaded from this portal.

In my small opinion Mozilla could follow the lead of AOL and Netscape in
providing a user-friendly web site to handle two very important elements
in distributing the Mozilla Suite and stand-alone applications.

Element 1.
The web site must describe how and why Mozilla is better than any other
web browser on the WWW; this must present examples of how Mozilla
performs user tasks in a very simple and straightforward manner.  On
each web page there must be at least two links for delivery of Mozilla,
one a free download for installing the suite, the other a link for a
free CD and user manual for the cost of shipping and the CD disc.

Element 2.
There must be a compressive user manual written for the average Internet
user in plain easy to read and understand language.  This manual must
address each tool and preference accessible to the average user.  A full
description of what the tool or preference is used for, and how to set
the tools and preferences for the desired end result.  This manual
should be available in two formats, the printed form that accompanies
the Free CD, and a PDF version for viewing and downloading.

If there is any doubt of the importance of element 2 I invite you all to
review the postings contained in the Netscape.Netscape7, and Mozilla
Newsgroups.  There you will find the common problems new users of the
Mozilla family of applications are experiencing.  If Mozilla does follow
an aggressive campaign to distribute and convert Internet users over to
the latest versions of the Mozilla family of applications the newsgroups
will not have the capacity to answer all the new user queries and problems.

In light of the above I suggest adding a new newsgroup for New Mozilla
Users, and have the postings and replies archived and searchable.  This
will enable the current newsgroups to address advanced topics and
technically difficult problem solving.

Respectfully,

Michael Gordon

--