[Marketing-Public]Wall Street Journal Article

Albert Ren marketing-public at mozilla.org
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:51:44 -0400

Michael Gordon wrote:

> Albert Ren wrote:
>
>> Michael Gordon wrote:

>>> < clipped >
>>>
>>> Hello Jay,
>>>
>>> When AOL dumped the Netscape browser suite, sent the Netscape
>>> programmers packing, handed over the server hardware to the Mozilla
>>> Foundation, and delivered a development gift of $2,000,000.00;
>>> didn't AOL give up the right to use a browser called "Netscape"?
>>>
>>> If this could be true Mozilla could package Moz 1.4.1 as Netscape
>>> 7.14 and join with Earthlink.net in selling dialup, DSL, cable, and
>>> satellite ISP services.  I remember when I first logged onto the
>>> Internet with Earthlink, Earthlink provided a copy of Netscape 3.x
>>> as an alternative to MS IE.  Earthlink was still supporting Netscape
>>> well after Communicator 4.0 arrived, but dropped support somewhere
>>> after Communicator 4.5 was released.
>>>
>>> Imagine the marketing coup if Mozilla, Earthlink, and IBM became a
>>> team player on the WWW.
>>>
>>> Michael Gordon
>>>
>> This brings me to a good question: Whose responsibility is it to try
>> and secure distribution deals?  I think it would be awesome if we
>> could convince Earthlink to start building on top of Gecko and get
>> HPaq to set Mozilla as the default browser on all its new systems.
>> Though I doubt Earthlink will really spend any time/money on getting
>> Mozilla in, they seem to be busy enough as it is.  HPaq might benefit
>> from having a default browser on its system w/ popup blocking and
>> junk mail filtering.
>>
>> This also begs the question, should we get them on bundling Mozilla
>> 1.4/1.5 or Mozilla Firebird 1.0, and Thunderbird 1.0 when that's ready?
>>
>> Albert

> Hello Albert,
>
> In my small opinion it seems more likely to bundle Moz 1.4.1/1.5 as a
> suite for the time being.  Later as Firebird and Thunderbird become
> more mature they could be integrated into the suite for the corporate
> bundle.
>
> As for Earthlink and HP are concerned they must be thinking about an
> alternate browser suite in light of Microsoft's public announcement on
> not supporting any further development on the "Stand Alone IE".
>
> Michael Gordon

Well in that case let's try to pick some of the low-hanging fruit off
the tree :)

Anyone got any EarthLink or HP contacts we should employ?  Preferably
ones that Netscape used to use to get their former placement?  Should we
wait for someone higher up (e.g. employed by MozFoundation) to handle
this deal?

Albert
--
Mozilla Champion!