[Marketing-Public]Wall Street Journal Article

Albert Ren marketing-public at mozilla.org
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:58:22 -0400

Michael Gordon wrote:

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>
>> Sorry to post the whole thing but I don't have the link.
>>
>> Any impact on Mozilla, F'bird, T'bird ??? Thoughts anyone?

>> AOL to Launch Dial-Up Service
>> Called Netscape at a Discount
>>
> < clipped >
>
> Hello Jay,
>
> When AOL dumped the Netscape browser suite, sent the Netscape
> programmers packing, handed over the server hardware to the Mozilla
> Foundation, and delivered a development gift of $2,000,000.00; didn't
> AOL give up the right to use a browser called "Netscape"?
>
> If this could be true Mozilla could package Moz 1.4.1 as Netscape 7.14
> and join with Earthlink.net in selling dialup, DSL, cable, and
> satellite ISP services.  I remember when I first logged onto the
> Internet with Earthlink, Earthlink provided a copy of Netscape 3.x as
> an alternative to MS IE.  Earthlink was still supporting Netscape well
> after Communicator 4.0 arrived, but dropped support somewhere after
> Communicator 4.5 was released.
>
> Imagine the marketing coup if Mozilla, Earthlink, and IBM became a
> team player on the WWW.
>
> Michael Gordon

This brings me to a good question: Whose responsibility is it to try and
secure distribution deals?  I think it would be awesome if we could
convince Earthlink to start building on top of Gecko and get HPaq to set
Mozilla as the default browser on all its new systems.  Though I doubt
Earthlink will really spend any time/money on getting Mozilla in, they
seem to be busy enough as it is.  HPaq might benefit from having a
default browser on its system w/ popup blocking and junk mail filtering.

This also begs the question, should we get them on bundling Mozilla
1.4/1.5 or Mozilla Firebird 1.0, and Thunderbird 1.0 when that's ready?

Albert