[Marketing-Public]Wall Street Journal Article

Michael Gordon marketing-public at mozilla.org
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:53:07 -0500

Jay Garcia wrote:

>Sorry to post the whole thing but I don't have the link.
>
>Any impact on Mozilla, F'bird, T'bird ??? Thoughts anyone?

>AOL to Launch Dial-Up Service
>Called Netscape at a Discount

< clipped >

Hello Jay,

When AOL dumped the Netscape browser suite, sent the Netscape
programmers packing, handed over the server hardware to the Mozilla
Foundation, and delivered a development gift of $2,000,000.00; didn't
AOL give up the right to use a browser called "Netscape"?

If this could be true Mozilla could package Moz 1.4.1 as Netscape 7.14
and join with Earthlink.net in selling dialup, DSL, cable, and satellite
ISP services.  I remember when I first logged onto the Internet with
Earthlink, Earthlink provided a copy of Netscape 3.x as an alternative
to MS IE.  Earthlink was still supporting Netscape well after
Communicator 4.0 arrived, but dropped support somewhere after
Communicator 4.5 was released.

Imagine the marketing coup if Mozilla, Earthlink, and IBM became a team
player on the WWW.

Michael Gordon

--
Character is doing the right thing...