[Marketing-Public]Wall Street Journal Article

Michael Stearne marketing-public at mozilla.org
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:59:06 -0400

Duane Fahey wrote:

> 1)  The Mozilla Foundation could re-sell the Netscape dial-up service,
> as a way to make money.  I know it's weird, but it might make some
> sense.  Maybe more sense than trying to sell other software products.

That's a good idea.  Maybe also bundle some other Free software as an
Internet Connection Kit, but that is really getting away from Mozilla's
core business.

> 2)  If AOL/TW said no to this, then perhaps the Mozilla Foundation
> could re-sell Earthlink's dial-up/DSL services.  This is probably a
> bad thing to even suggest, to go against the former parent, but, maybe
> it makes sense.
>
> Will there still be a Netscape browser?  Does anyone know?

They could use XUL and Mozilla to make a AOL like client for Netscape
and AOL Communicator pretty easily, I would imagine.  But that would be
too forward thinking.  They'll probably opt to bundle IE.

> If AOL/Time Warner will not put out a Netscape browser, maybe the
> Mozilla Foundation could make one as part of a deal to re-sell the
> dial-up service.  Everything is done, it would just need to be updated
> with the Mozilla revs, right?

AOL wouldn't let Mozilla put out a Netscape branded browser I don't
think.  They'll probably just use NS 7.1.

Michael