First thoughts

Georg Meyer georgmeyer at netcologne.de
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:53:52 +0200

Ok here I go,

this is a very rough set of general ideas.

General: Marketing should be entirely positive in regards of
self-definition.  I  my  view,  the  very  worst  thing  which  could
hapen  is T-Shirts, stickers  or whatever with slogans or graphics
making something else look bad or fun of. You know what I'm thinking
about. I don't think putting out T-Shirts making fun of IE or pointing
out it's bad points will do us any good. Remember, the people we try to
market Mozilla to use IE. It's not a good start into a conversation to
make that look bad. That would be like a car merchant from another brand
than you use starts by making your own brand bad. What would you think ?
I know that I would think that he has to make other's bad to look
himself look good. I would walk  away.

Instead, let people make their own conclusions. Tread them like
customers. Point of your strong points: popup blocking, spam filtering,
whatever. People can compare that to their own products themselves and
will do that. Point out these positives in slogan form, short and
rememberable. No tech talk. No geekish language, no self irony nobody
but insiders understand.

Pictures and emblems, rememberable ones. The dinosaur as our maskot, as
recognizable as the mascot of your favorite sports team. It has to be
ONE colour green OR red. Everything else is confusing and looks as if
they were two (maybe opposite) things.

Traditional fan stuff: mugs, toys, scrafs

Mozilla club with real incentives to join, real benefits to members
which the others DO NOT get: Prepacked with java, real player, adobe
acrobat, flash as an all inclusive solution. Add spellchecker and
dictionaries and translated packages to the build. Software pros:
Special skins ONLY for members, a fanzine including latest developments
written for users. Maybe even in real print sent to your doorstep.
Posters for fans in your fan magazine. Club members get preffered care
in support forums, they pay, they get their problems solved first.

If the clubs runs good, we can make several membership levels:  Basic
membership :  2  US$ per month , Silver membership: 4 US$ per month,
Gold membership: 6 US$ per month. Each membership level needs a higher
stantard of support and incentives.

Keep the demands for the basic membership in the club as low as
possible: You prefer a steady income of 2 bucks per month and a virtual
lifelong membership to a 10 bucks donation one time.

Keep the structure of the club easy, show potential members what they
get, not more, not less. No confusing point schemes noone understands.

Basic membership can only be achieved with donating money, higher levels
of membership can also be achieved by "donating" work, filling bug
reports, fixing them, helping in support forums, testing, whatever. The
longer the task take, the longer you can stay in the higher class
membership, if you stop working on the product, you fall back the the
level of you support you receive by donating.

Ok, I hope what I said wasn't entirely pointless.

George