[Go Faster] Planning for deployments involving system add-ons or updates to system add-ons

Cory Price cprice at mozilla.com
Wed Mar 29 22:50:45 UTC 2017

+ some other folks because this is a great topic, so thanks for bringing it
up.

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 2:14 AM, Andrei Vaida <andrei.vaida at softvisioninc.eu
> wrote:

> Hi Cory,
>
> I was wondering if the Go Faster team has some sort of schedule available
> for the system add-ons or system add-on updates they're planning to ship.
>
> The process we set up last year for test channel verification
> <https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Go_Faster/System_Add-ons/Process#Verification_of_Test_Channel> has
> been working really well so far, but I think my team could be more
> efficient if there were a release schedule we could access, to prepare for
> upcoming deployments in advance. It wouldn't have to be a very precise
> schedule, just enough so we know that one or more system add-ons are
> planned to be deployed "sometime in the week of...".
>
> Such a schedule would help us a lot, especially since there were often
> cases when my team had to fit in this kind of testing in particularly busy
> days, without knowing and planning for them before hand.
>
> What do you think? Does Go Faster already have such a schedule? And if
> not, would it be possible to build one and share it with our team?

There currently is not such a schedule. The premise of the Go Faster
workflow is to turn things around quickly, with the ability to land
priority fixes and feature updates in short order.

For some larger full feature system add-ons such as bug 1351424, or bug
1351454 building a schedule is reasonable, but the majority of system
add-ons we release (at least recently) have been things we have to fix
right away.

I don't know what the best way to handle this is. One thing I've been
thinking of was revisiting the requirement of two QA verification steps in
the process[0], maybe asking for just one round of QA verification?

I can't guarantee that the hastiness of the requests will change =/, but
I'm happy to add items to a calendar if it's helpful. I can clean the dust
off of the Go Faster Public Calendar[1] and begin to add release requests
to it as they come in?

[0] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Go_Faster/System_Add-ons/Process
[1] *https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=mozilla.com_fd39k26ps9k9t7b0ej5s1fmt7c%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/Los_Angeles

--