[Go Faster] Intent to ship: Aushelper add-on for Firefox 52

Robert Helmer rhelmer at mozilla.com
Tue Mar 28 03:44:06 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 5:09 PM, Ritu Kothari <rkothari at mozilla.com> wrote:
> Ok. I understand. This is a pretty basic bug in our System Add-on
> deployment/update path. Is this a new regression or has this always been a
> problem? Just wondering.

This is a new regression in 52, introduced by the restartless update
feature (1204156) which was a pretty big change. The right test is in
place now, and we were able to easily work around it by pushing an
update.

Most users should already be on the correct versions by now since we
pushed an update last week. We're waiting for telemetry to come in,
longitudinal is only current as of March 25:
https://sql.telemetry.mozilla.org/queries/2654#5575

We also have additional mitigations, such as the fact that add-ons
declare which versions of Firefox they expect to work on.

All that said, I would be much happier if we never shipped any bugs :)

I'll try to get some more data from raw telemetry before longitudinal
updates next week.