[Go Faster] L10n for system addons (Page Shot in 54)

Jared Hirsch 6a68 at mozilla.com
Tue Mar 7 01:46:24 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I'm working on a localization plan for Page Shot in FF 54, and I'm curious
if anyone on the list has suggestions (best practices or gotchas) related
to l10n in system addons.

Page Shot includes a WebExtension (in a bootstrapped addon wrapper) and a
website. The site runs on nodejs and its views are built with react, while
the addon's views are built using raw browser APIs (DOM built-ins +
innerHTML). Both parts of the project live inside the same Github repo.

The current draft plan is to connect Pontoon to the Page Shot Github
repo[1] to pull in translated strings, try out fluent-react[2] for the
server, and fluent.js[3] for the addon. For language negotiation on both
addon and server, we're going to try out the fluent-langneg[4] library.
This plan doesn't (yet) include anything specific to Page Shot shipping as
a system addon. Feedback is very welcome :-)

I also have two questions for folks on the list. First, for language
negotiation, should the addon follow the user's content language
preference, or should it match the UI language? Second, should we plan to
ship one system addon containing all locales, or should we plan to build
one addon for each locale?

Finally, if you'd like to follow l10n progress in Page Shot, you can watch
the BMO l10n kickoff bug[5] or the l10n tracking bug in the Page Shot
Github repo[6].

Cheers,

Jared

[1] https://github.com/mozilla-services/pageshot/