[Go Faster] Do we want system add-ons to update without restarting?

Robert Helmer rhelmer at mozilla.com
Sun Sep 27 00:26:03 UTC 2015

On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 3:55 PM, Richard Newman <rnewman at mozilla.com> wrote:
> Do we have any measurements for the distribution of restart times? If 90% of
> our users restart daily, 98% within a week, and we're happy getting 98%
> penetration for an update in seven days, then great — let's not bother
> notifying, and wait for organic restarts.
>
> If we require users to restart in order to get fixes and improvements, and
> if we prompt for upgrade, then we're forced to choose between update fatigue
> or shipping less frequently. Even so, we'll get some number of users
> (particularly on Mac, I suspect) not updating for extended periods of time.
>
> (Yup, I still shake my head, restart Firefox, and jump it forward a couple
> of major releases every time I use my partner's laptop.)
>
> Putting on my devil's advocate hat: if we don't allow system add-ons some
> way to upgrade without a restart, and if — as I've heard — the system add-on
> approach doesn't really buy us faster turnarounds for chemspills, is it
> worth doing all of this work?

I had assumed we were talking about this as a temporary measure, but I
could read it the other way too.. Dave did you mean never doing
restartless, or going forward now and figuring it out later?

I agree that restartless updates is a key reason to implement system add-ons.

Should we delay shipping any system add-ons until that is ready? Is
getting 98% (where can we find the actual number?) of users in 7 days
(instead of 6 weeks) worth it in the meantime?

> If a user has to restart to get new software, what's the advantage versus
> just pushing out a new build of Firefox and using our existing well-tested
> delta-based updater with no nagging to restart?

There are benefits to development (don't need to build Firefox to work
on the add-on) and the whole dev+build+deploy pipeline is faster and
should be lower-risk than pushing a full build. It allows teams
working on these add-ons to be more autonomous and not have to sync to
Firefox's release cycle (barring a dependency on a platform change).

Being able to ship updates faster feels like the most compelling reason, though.