[Go Faster] Do we want system add-ons to update without restarting?

Richard Newman rnewman at mozilla.com
Sat Sep 26 22:55:28 UTC 2015

Do we have any measurements for the distribution of restart times? If 90%
of our users restart daily, 98% within a week, and we're happy getting 98%
penetration for an update in seven days, then great — let's not bother
notifying, and wait for organic restarts.

If we require users to restart in order to get fixes and improvements, and
if we prompt for upgrade, then we're forced to choose between update
fatigue or shipping less frequently. Even so, we'll get some number of
users (particularly on Mac, I suspect) not updating for extended periods of
time.

(Yup, I still shake my head, restart Firefox, and jump it forward a couple
of major releases every time I use my partner's laptop.)

Putting on my devil's advocate hat: if we *don't* allow system add-ons some
way to upgrade without a restart, and if — as I've heard — the system
add-on approach doesn't really buy us faster turnarounds for chemspills, *is
it worth doing all of this work*?

If a user has to restart to get new software, what's the advantage versus
just pushing out a new build of Firefox and using our existing well-tested
delta-based updater with no nagging to restart?