[Go Faster] Do we want system add-ons to update without restarting?

Kev Needham kneedham at mozilla.com
Fri Sep 25 22:37:03 UTC 2015

Is there any reasonable way for us to make a call on what addons can be
installed without a restart? If there are "safe" updates, it'd be good
to know if they can be marked as such and applied at download. I don't
want to add complexidy, and lean towards option 1., because of the
minimal amount of user friction and cleanliness of it. I'm also
wondering how good we are at idle detection, although I suspect that's
gloriously difficult given how many sites maintain connections without
user intervention.