[Go Faster] Updating and installing new system add-ons

Benjamin Smedberg bsmedberg at mozilla.com
Thu Sep 10 19:20:52 UTC 2015

Would we continue to test those configurations? It seems unlikely that the
addons would continue to work for long periods of time unless the API
surface is extraordinarily stable and robust.

I don't think we should continue shipping things if we're not going to test
those configurations somehow.

--BDS

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 3:06 PM, Ben Hearsum <bhearsum at mozilla.com> wrote:

> I was talking with Chris AtLee about our plan for System Addon updates in
> Balrog today, specifically around the idea of being able to stop serving
> the updates every 6 weeks (eg, if we update Hello between 42 and 43, we can
> stop serving it in Balrog when 43 ships because it will contain the latest
> version). He pointed out that if we deprecate an OS, and stop serving
> system addon updates when we ship the next version, those users will never
> be able to get the latest compatible version. Probably not the end of the
> world, since those users are stuck on an old version of Firefox anyways,
> but it's not ideal. We may want to consider continuing to ship the latest
> available system addons for each version of Firefox (similar to what we do
> for GMP right now).
>
> On Tue, Sep 08, 2015 at 09:12:43AM -0700, Dave Townsend wrote:
> > After discussions with Ben I've updated the section of the client plan on
> > how we update system add-ons:
> >
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Go_Faster/Client_Implementation_Plan#Discovering_system_add-ons
> >
> > It shows the actual server response we will be reading and is essentially
> > the same update mechanism that GMP uses.

Benjamin Smedberg
Engineering Manager, Firefox