[Go Faster] Updating and installing new system add-ons

Ben Hearsum bhearsum at mozilla.com
Thu Sep 10 19:06:45 UTC 2015

I was talking with Chris AtLee about our plan for System Addon updates in Balrog today, specifically around the idea of being able to stop serving the updates every 6 weeks (eg, if we update Hello between 42 and 43, we can stop serving it in Balrog when 43 ships because it will contain the latest version). He pointed out that if we deprecate an OS, and stop serving system addon updates when we ship the next version, those users will never be able to get the latest compatible version. Probably not the end of the world, since those users are stuck on an old version of Firefox anyways, but it's not ideal. We may want to consider continuing to ship the latest available system addons for each version of Firefox (similar to what we do for GMP right now).