[Go Faster] System add-ons and safe mode

Mike Connor mconnor at mozilla.com
Tue Sep 8 19:47:51 UTC 2015

My mental model here is that system add-ons are indivisible (conceptually)
from the base app, except that we can push updates out of band from core
release cycles.  To that end, I don't think reverting to release-time
versions makes the most sense, since updates may include
security/crash/other critical fixes that would be chemspills in a
monolithic model.

I would counter-propose that "Safe Mode" should load the latest stable
version.  That could involve downloading the stable version (if there's an
update we haven't applied), which is okay, because the goal is to get users
to the latest known good configuration.

On that note, I also wonder if Safe Mode should update to the latest
version as a part of the launch process. Obviously that's scope creep, but
in terms of "get a user to a working configuration" updating to latest
would seem like an improvement for users.  Something to think about, at
least.