[Go Faster] Hello-as-addon challenges

Mike Connor mconnor at mozilla.com
Tue Sep 1 16:33:31 UTC 2015

We've done locale-limited features in the recent past ("Flare" search UI
rolled by locale through 34/35/36), via a locale-driven pref.  There's also
absearch, which could be trivially extended/duplicated to roll out other
settings by language/region/etc.

In an ideal world, system add-ons will be able to embed some sort of flag
to indicate locale/region compatibility, and Firefox will determine whether
to load the add-on at all based on that flag. If the add-on strings get
updated, we push a new update, Firefox sees that the locale is now
supported, and we can then load for those users.  We could supplement with
an absearch-like microservice if we want to do a phased rollout.  (And I
think we'll want to be able to do a non-binary rollout of potential new
features.)

-- Mike

On 1 September 2015 at 09:40, Armen Zambrano Gasparnian <armenzg at mozilla.com