[Go Faster] Hello-as-addon challenges

Armen Zambrano Gasparnian armenzg at mozilla.com
Tue Sep 1 13:40:31 UTC 2015

Can we deliver features to locales only if they have been localized and
signed off?
In other words, make a feature available only if we have marked that the
localization for it is ready for it.
It would be great if the browser would be able to determine at what point a
a feature has been localezied and signed off, fetch the strings for that
feature and enable it.
I believe this would give us all the ability to move forward and localizers
to catch up.

On 31 August 2015 at 17:50, Axel Hecht <axel at mozilla.com> wrote:

> On 8/31/15 11:36 PM, Toby Elliott wrote:
>
>> On Aug 26, 2015, at 12:13 PM, Chris Hofmann <chofmann at mozilla.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, that's theortically possible, but leads to trying to manage 80+
>>> releases for each of the locales that we serve, and a very complex
>>> release management process in terms of commuication and execution.
>>>
>>> Ben, locales 4, 8, 10, and 22 are ready to go... please build and push
>>> those.
>>> Ben,  locales 25, 41, and 15 are ready to go... please push those.
>>> etc….
>>>
>> Couldn't this be "Ben, enough locales are in to ship this, please push"
>> followed by out-of-band string updates for those other localizations as
>> they come in?
>>
> So, 'enough' is undefined, see below ...
>
>> Do we simply refuse to ship a feature to a locale if the translation
>> hasn't come in? Or is it acceptable to have fallback strings in parts of
>> the browser when a more obscure language hasn't been localized yet?
>>
>> Toby
>>

> This is the real question: Is it OK to ship a string in English in ... X?
>
> The answer is gated on the question, really.
>
> If the question is "are we gonna learn something useful out of shipping
> this?", then the answer is only going to be yes if the translations of that
> test are awesome. Otherwise you'll just measure "oh my god, this isn't in
> my language", followed by "oh my gosh, this is horrible grammar". The
> latter is actually real feedback I just read the other day. You're not
> going to see any signal in our data that's related to the patch in question.
>
> If the question is "is this feature good to ship in English?", that's a
> VERY complicated question. Depends on culture, and beyond that, user
> population within that culture. Can you say "hey, buddy", literally, to me?
> Sure. Can you say that to my mom? Hell no. Which brings us back to the
> question of what's there to gain, and what's there to loose.
>
> And lastly, there's some concrete lessons we've learned in the past few
> years. If UI sucks and survives, it'll suck. If it dies, it dies. The
> expectation that we'll "ship things as they come in" doesn't match our
> real-life experience. And the lack thereof makes total sense to me, at
> least in my cynical way of thinking about human beings.
>
> Axel

Zambrano Gasparnian, Armen
Automation & Tools Engineer
http://armenzg.blogspot.ca