Upcoming changes to frame scripts

Kris Maglione kmaglione at mozilla.com
Thu Aug 9 20:49:01 UTC 2018

On Thu, Aug 09, 2018 at 08:42:11AM +0200, Johann Hofmann wrote:
>I have one slight concern: if I understand correctly, we are aiming to
>remove the ability for chrome-privileged JS to inject frame/content scripts
>on the fly, right? I'm currently working on a Shield study which uses a
>privileged frame script to extract information from the content process it
>would otherwise not have access to. I have seen other Shield studies use
>frame scripts as well.
>
>Am I right in assuming that future studies would need to land IPDL
>boilerplate in m-c to achieve something like this?

At some point, the current frame script concept will go away,
and things like shield studies will need to move to an explicit
actor model, yes. Whether they'll need to be IPDL actors or not
is an open question.

That said, it will be a while before frame scripts can go away
entirely, since we use ad-hoc frame scripts pretty extensively
in tests. But production code will need to migrate as soon as
possible, regardless of whether frame scripts are supported by
the platform, since the existing frame script model has
performance, memory, and security issues that we really need to
avoid as much as possible.

-Kris