Should we make content console messages print to stdout when browser.dom.window.dump.enabled is true?

Brian Grinstead bgrinstead at mozilla.com
Thu Aug 2 19:16:04 UTC 2018

In Bug 1439686 we started printing chrome console messages to stdout. At that time we restricted it to chrome callers to avoid extra noise in stdout during local builds - especially since filtering out content messages is a much-requested feature for the Browser Console (Bug 1260877).

Interestingly, a page can already get text out to stdout if browser.dom.window.dump.enabled is true using `window.dump`. But the output isn't great when dealing with objects, and it requires the page to change its code.

We got a request to enable this for console.log in Bug 1480544 - I'm curious if people have opinions on if/how this should be exposed. Should the output be controlled based on the browser.dom.window.dump.enabled pref? Should we have a second pref controlling itf? Something else?

Thanks,
Brian