Browser Architecture Newsletter 5

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Thu Nov 30 09:30:07 UTC 2017

Hi,

The coherent thinking and communication about Browser Architecture is a
really good change from before, thanks for that.

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 9:47 PM, Dave Townsend <dtownsend at mozilla.com>
wrote:

> We’ll be meeting to talk in more detail about the roadmap, the present,
> and the future at the All Hands
> <https://austinyallhands2017.sched.com/event/CyOK/sync-and-storage>. We
> would welcome your participation.

After reading the roadmap doc, I have one question: is anyone thinking
about Sync/Storage beyond the browser? It seems Sync and Storage,
especially for those of us who use smartphones or tablets, are an integral
part of modern life, yet these services are largely proprietary, and many
do not come with substantial privacy guarantees. As part of the Mozilla
mission, would it be crazy to ask that at least the fundamental
architecture of a Sync redesign takes non-browser (for example, files,
email, contacts and calendars) into account?

Best regards,

Dirkjan