Intent to Merge: Google Analytics on perf-html.io

Robin Laing MeSat at TelusPlanet.net
Sat Nov 18 05:46:44 UTC 2017

On 17/11/17 17:50, Harald Kirschner wrote:
> I agree with you, David, privacy in the tool is important and collecting
> usage data can feel like the wrong data could get out. We do very
> intentionally limit collection to only navigation within the app and
> exclude URLs. This also means uploaded profile IDs are not reported;
> nothing private about the profile itself is collected in GA.
>
> As alternative to uploading you can also download the profiles locally
> and attach them to private bugs; so you stay in control over them and
> can remove them as needed. Would it be helpful to have anonymization as
> an option; to have a best-effort approach on removing PII like URLs from
> profiles?
>
> /Harald
>
> On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 1:43 PM L. David Baron <dbaron at dbaron.org
> <mailto:dbaron at dbaron.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Friday 2017-11-17 01:03 +0000, Harald Kirschner wrote:
>      > tl;dr: To better understand usage and prioritize work that
>     matters for
>      > users, the perf.html team is planning to add GA on
>     http://perf-html.io/ [1]
>      > (né Cleopatra) to track high-level interface interactions.
>      >
>      > Background: perf.html is an advanced performance analysis tool,
>     build as
>      > hosted web application. Performance profiles are recorded using
>     the Gecko
>      > Profiler add-on [2], which then hands them to perf.html for local
>     viewing.
>      > The tool is maintained by the Firefox Developer Tools team and
>     mostly used
>      > by Firefox engineers and community members.
>      >
>      > Work to add GA is happening in
>      > https://github.com/devtools-html/perf.html/pull/617 . Important
>     to note is
>      > that GA is not loaded when Do Not Track (DNT) is enabled and that
>     tracking
>      > is limited to critical paths and feature usage within the interface.
>      > Product analytics, combined with the existing close collaboration
>     with
>      > Quantum Flow engineering, will inform future bug priorities and
>     product
>      > planning.
>      >
>      > Let us know if you have any feedback or concerns. We'd also be
>     happy to
>      > welcome new contributors to the perf.html project!
>
>     So as someone who was already a bit nervous about uploading profiles
>     to perf-html.io <http://perf-html.io> given the amount of URL data
>     in them, I guess this
>     makes me a little bit more nervous, since there will be script from
>     yet more sources mixed in to the page.  I'm not sure if that gives
>     me a clear opinion one way or another, but I think it's worth
>     consideration of the sensitivity of the data in profiles (primarily
>     URLs that are loading and doing something).
>
>     -David

> [...]

If I find a bug, then I will report it.  Some usability issues reported
in the past have been brushed off.

Unless there is an easy way to prevent this data from being gathered, FF
will become a non-used browser for many that I know.  Already there are
many concerns about the poorer UI from people I have been in contact
with and FF57.  I have tried it and moved back to 56.

As I was asked if there will be an easy way to turn this off with
about:config.