Firefox v57 ('Quantum'?)

Coda Coder codacodercodacoder at outlook.com
Fri Nov 17 04:59:32 UTC 2017

On 2017-11-16 17:50, Gijs Kruitbosch wrote:
> On 16/11/2017 23:24, Mike Hommey wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 10:56:54PM +0000, Coda Coder wrote:
>>>      I have things in the address bar I don't want and things missing I
>>> do want and no way to add them.
>>>      Example.  Pocket.  No thank you.  Answer: tough, we're gonna
>>> put it
>>> in the menu AND in the address bar.  And no you can't change it.
>> I don't know why it's not in "customize", but you can right-click on the
>> icon in the address bar, that allows to remove it. And since it's not in
>> "customize", you can't get it back if you really want to. Known issue?
> You can right click the item in the main page action menu to add it
> back into the address bar.
>
> There's a bug on file on integrating page actions with the rest of
> customize mode but:
>
> a) that's difficult to do intuitively (ie how do you distinguish, when
> drag and dropping a "thing", users trying to drop it *next to* the
> location bar vs. *in* the location bar).

Well there could be two drop areas where each "lights up" when hovered over.

> Or, for that matter, users trying to drag items in the location bar
> vs. the location bar itself.

Design foot-gun.  The customize screen is trying to "look like" the
actual screen, but doesn't quite cut it.  The items "in" the location
bar are missing in customize.

> b) the items in the page action menu are supposed to relate to the
> current page, whereas items in the rest of the navbar aren't (i.e.
> bookmark/pocket/report-site/send-to-device/copy|email-link all do
> something with the current page/url whereas e.g. library contains
> bookmarks/downloads/history which are all unrelated to the current site).

My point made for me.  And, because we lost the menu bar (I know, that
happened centuries ago) we lost some useful (if not essential) areas of
demarcation. The "big crush" has/had a cost.  And it's getting worse:
dragging the window around is now a much more finely-focused
UX/activity... just to find a free area to grab.

> There's meaning in that separation, and it's not obvious that mixing
> the two things would make sense, given that the address bar items get
> hidden on, for instance, the New Tab page.

But you've already mixed two (more?) things as you pointed out above.
And the customization system is now looking broken or at best
half-finished.  I'm sure in 55/56 it was relatively "complete" -- right?

The six-week incrementals normally guard against releasing less than
adequate replacements of UI/UX fundamentals.  I'm pretty sure the amount
of weight and effort thrown at 57 (not to mention the build up fanfare
in the collective mindset) had a subduing effect on the UX police.

Still.  You're not breaking sites.  And by 59 it'll all be good, right? ;)

> That's not to say it'll never happen, there was just no time to tackle
> this as part of photon.

Understood.