Possible to pass an already opened socket-instance to firefox?

Ajay Garg ajaygargnsit at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 13:23:29 UTC 2017

Thanks Eric for the help ... SSH (reverse-)tunnelling is indeed the way to
go.
However, I am stuck at the last mile (at FIrefox level it seems).

Following is what I have done.

Architecture is

    Machine-1 <==> Machine-2 <==> Machine-3.

* Let Machine-1 public-IP be 1.2.3.4
* Let Machine-3 local IP be 5.6.7.8
* Machine-1 and Machine-3 are both accessible from Machine-2.

a)
Machine-3 has a local http-server running, with a resource localhost/1.txt
accessible.

b)
I did the following on Machine-2 ::

         ssh -R 9001:5.6.7.8:80 1.2.3.4

c)
Thereafter, following works perfect on Machine-1 ::

         wget localhost:9001/1.txt

with the resource 1.txt being identical with the one in step a)

However, if I use a machine say Machine-4, and enter the URL ::

         1.2.3.4:9001/1.txt

it says failed to connect.

I am guessing something needs to be done in about:config of firefox on
Machine-4.
Am I correct? If yes, what exactly needs to be changed in the config?

Thanks already for your help, will be great to receive some advice on this
last issue.

Thanks and Regards,
Ajay

On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 3:22 AM, Eric Rescorla <ekr at rtfm.com> wrote:

> To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to do this.
>
> Generally, if you want to do something like this, you set up an SSH tunnel
> or the like.
>
> -Ekr
>

> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 12:53 AM, Ajay Garg <ajaygargnsit at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi All.
>>
>> I am wishing to communicate between Machine-1 and Machine-2.
>>
>> Machine-1 has a public-IP, whereas Machine-2 does not.
>> Machine-1 is the client, while Machine-2 runs a web-server.
>>
>> So, a normal http://Machine-2/path/to/stuff cannot be used from a
>> browser in Machine-1, because Machine-2 does not have a public-IP.
>> But, a normal TCP socket can be created *from* Machine-2, using
>> Machine-1's public IP.
>>
>> So, can this socket be somehow passed to firefox on Machine-1?
>> This way, firefox DOES NOT create the initiating TCP-connection (instead
>> using the passed socket), and thereafter begins passing/receiving the HTTP
>> requests/responses as usual.
>>

>> Do I make sense in my query?
>> If yes, is it possible of what we desire?
>>

>> Will be great to listen back from the experts !!
>>

>> Thanks and Regards,
>> Ajay

Regards,
Ajay