Switching to async/await from Task.jsm/yield

Kris Maglione kmaglione at mozilla.com
Thu Mar 16 22:49:11 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 06:39:57PM -0400, Mike Conley wrote:
>I'm all for it.
>
>For the people who are more familiar with async / await than I am, and
>have also used Task.jsm, are there any gotchas, or is it pretty much a
>drop-in replacement?

In general, I think there are fewer gotchas with async/await
than with Task.jsm. The only one I can think of is that awaiting
on the result of a star function won't do what you expect, and
generally won't fail in an obvious way, so you need to be
careful to also convert all star functions that you're using as
task generators.

I.e.,

function* foo() {
  yield doAsyncThing();

  return 42;
}

Task.spawn(function* () {
  yield foo();

  yield thingThatDependsOnFoo();
});

needs to turn into:

async function foo() {
  await doAsyncThing();

  return 42;
}

(async () => {
  await foo();

  await thingThatDependsOnFoo();
})();

--
Kris Maglione
Firefox Add-ons Engineer

Technology is dominated by two types of people: Those who understand
what they do not manage.  Those who manage what they do not
understand.
	--Putt's Law