Switching to async/await from Task.jsm/yield

Dave Townsend dtownsend at mozilla.com
Thu Mar 16 22:29:15 UTC 2017

For a long time now we've been writing JS code that waits for promises
using Task.jsm and generator functions. Recently though the JS team added
support for the JS standard way of doing this, async/await:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Statements/async_function

Writing code in standard JS is always better for the web, makes it easier
to onboard new engineers and allows for better support in developer tools.
So I'd like to propose that we switch to the standard way of writing these
functions immediately. New code should use async/await instead of Task.jsm
going forwards.

Florian has some rough plans to automatically rewrite existing usages of
Task.jsm to the standard JS forms so for now don't worry much about going
and submitting patches to fix up existing code. Once that is done we can
remove Task.jsm from the tree.

Does anyone object to any of this?