The future of commit access policy for core Firefox

smaug smaug at welho.com
Sat Mar 11 03:55:10 UTC 2017

On 03/11/2017 05:23 AM, smaug wrote:
> On 03/10/2017 12:59 AM, Bobby Holley wrote:
>> At a high level, I think the goals here are good.
>>
>> However, the tooling here needs to be top-notch for this to work, and the
>> standard approach of flipping on an MVP and dealing with the rest in
>> followup bugs isn't going to be acceptable for something so critical to our
>> productivity as landing code. The only reason more developers aren't
>> complaining about the MozReview+autoland workflow right now is that it's
>> optional.
>>
>> The busiest and most-productive developers (ehsan, bz, dbaron, etc) tend
>> not to pay attention to new workflows because they have too much else on
>> their plate. The onus needs to be on the team deploying this to have the
>> highest-volume committers using the new system happily and voluntarily
>> before it becomes mandatory. That probably means that the team should not
>> have any deadline-oriented incentives to ship it before it's ready.
>>
>> Also, getting rid of "r+ with comments" is a non-starter.
>
> FWIW, with my reviewer hat on, I think that is not true, _assuming_ there is a reliable interdiff for patches.
> And not only MozReview patches but for all the patches. (and MozReview interdiff isn't reliable, it has dataloss issues so it
> doesn't really count there.).
> I'd be ok to do a quick r+ if interdiff was working well.

But I could rephrase this differently. During the last couple of weeks I've been doing pretty much only reviews, again, so increasing reviewing time
significantly is a non-starter for me.  If we can find more reviewers, great, if not, can we please figure out processes which make reviewing less
time consuming. I guess I'd wish positive answer to both these questions. (a quick r+ doesn't affect here much _if_ interdiff was working.)

Though, I do honestly think that our reviewing process would feel quite a bit better if everyone would always prioritize reviews over pretty much
everything else (some deadlines would be valid exceptions of this rule, then review queue could stay closed).
If that was happening, review requests might spread more evenly.

-Olli