Firefox "Default theme"

Benjamin Smedberg benjamin at smedbergs.us
Fri Jul 31 01:46:56 UTC 2015

On 7/30/2015 9:44 PM, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
> Does anyone know why we have the "Firefox default theme" installed by
> default in Firefox?  In the really old days, the default browser theme
> was implement as a Theme, and as far as I can tell, the code in
> browser/app/profile/extensions/{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}
> is remnants of that old theme (for historical reference, this is the
> old theme code that I'm referring to:
> <https://github.com/mozilla/gecko-dev/tree/203538d39b33bed2e37a49a10b8c3d6e7a26cda5/browser/base/skin>).
>
> This unremovable default theme is unnecessary, and it's not even
> localized.  I'm planning to remove it unless someone has any objections?

I don't understand what part of this you object to.

As far as I understand it, the way the current code works you cannot
switch back to the default theme from a custom theme in the addons
manager unless there is an addon item which represents the default theme.

Are you worried about performance, or general code hygiene, or something
else?

--BDS