Living in a Go Faster, post-XUL world

Gijs Kruitbosch gijskruitbosch at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 21:18:02 UTC 2015

Converting our in-content pages, converting our web-facing XBL (video
controls come to mind), investigating more or less orthogonal perf
improvements for startup (potentially by replacing some bits of XUL with
HTML in the main window, but maybe through other means), improving "new"
CSS flexbox performance, making an inventory of "XUL things" that we rely
on right now that don't have HTML equivalents (XUL persistence, window
attributes that get reflected to native code, certain -moz-appearance
values, layout for panels/popups where the bounds are determined by the
page instead of the bounds being determined for the page, maybe other
stuff...) and figuring out paths to replace those, expanding exposed APIs
(like e.g. CustomizableUI) to accommodate other things that add-ons
currently do with XUL overlays (e.g. "load script X in every browser
window", "add menu Y in the Tools menu", "add fancy toolbaritem (not a
button) <whatever>" to the set of customizable toolbar items... etc.

All of these can be worked on more or less in parallel. There's probably
other things that I've forgotten about.

~ Gijs