Living in a Go Faster, post-XUL world

Robert Kaiser kairo at kairo.at
Thu Jul 16 20:09:04 UTC 2015

David Rajchenbach-Teller schrieb:
> * Get rid of the deprecated (XUL) bits of Gecko in a finite time.

I don't know why we even state that as a goal in the first place. Also,
you know, even 100 years is "finite", so that word never makes sense to
me by itself. And I don't think anything short- or even mid-term is
realistic. This is a multi-year goal in my eyes and not something to
fully plan out right now.

If it was up to me, I'd rather state goals like
* Replace chrome-only ("XUL") Gecko features with web standards ("HTML")
in controlled steps where an equivalent exists and fix Gecko to make
them perform as well as the "XUL" versions.
* Investigate and develop features that can be made web standards for
anything in "XUL" that doesn't have equivalents yet.

The investigation into the box model that Enn did is IMHO a really good
step into that direction and I hope we do more similar efforts (and fix
performance in this case so we can follow it through).

As always, this is just a personal opinion and my "old guard" view point
may not always be the best one, but it draws on a lot of experience.

KaiRo