Testing a local windows build in a windows 10 VM

Brian Grinstead bgrinstead at mozilla.com
Mon Jul 13 21:17:01 UTC 2015

I recently set up an environment to test changes from a firefox build in Windows 7 onto a Windows 10 VM.  It went pretty smoothly, but there's at least one gotcha so wanted to share the steps in case anyone else wanted to do it:

1) Download the the Win10 ISO from this page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso <http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso> - there's also a product key there
2) Install the Win10 guest OS as a VM
3) Mount a shared folder inside the guest OS pointing to the firefox source checkout in the host OS
4) From the guest, navigate in the shared folder to the objdir/dist/bin/ and open firefox.exe
4a) The part that tripped me up was that opening firefox.exe from the guest caused a silent failure.  I needed to install "Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013" in the guest OS: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784.

Brian