Firefox Lite

Eric Rescorla ekr at rtfm.com
Sat Jul 11 23:27:06 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult <
enrico.weigelt at gr13.net> wrote:

> On 09.07.2015 09:06, David Rajchenbach-Teller wrote:
>
> > Random idea: you could possibly make a poll, as Edge does, of the list
> > of features that people want in Firefox Lite? So take the list of all
> > the features that you feel can be removed, and let people tell you what
> > they think of it?
>
> I'd rather put in an intermediate step before that:
> Make all of these things at least build-time configurable, so the
> distros can decide what to actually ship.
>
> My first candidate would be all this cloud-stuff.

It's a fair amount of effort to maintain each of these configuration
options.

As I said at the beginning of this thread if there is real evidence that a
particular
piece of functionality adds a significant amount of size (either download or
runtime), then this is something to consider. Otherwise, I don't think it's
worth
this just for the sake of distro-level configurability. That's what
about:config
prefs are for.

-Ekr