Revisiting how we build Firefox

Mike Hoye mhoye at mozilla.com
Sat Jul 11 18:33:39 UTC 2015

On 2015-07-11 1:06 PM, Chris Hofmann wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 1:52 AM, Gijs Kruitbosch
> <gijskruitbosch at gmail.com <mailto:gijskruitbosch at gmail.com>> wrote:
> > 1) adding a single button to the toolbar of the main Firefox UI
> slows down startup and new window openings (talos!)
> > by a few milliseconds spent in XUL layout / XBL construction alone.
>
> In its own very odd way this might be considered a benefit. It
> actually forces hard decisions and discussion on adding more buttons
> to the UI and removing/replacing things if something more important
> needs to be added.
I think we should trust our colleagues in UX to make good decisions for
our users and defer to their decisions instead.

This would take more humility than discipline, but it seems like a
better approach overall than having our UI design somehow bottlenecked
on dead-end tech throwing up perf-regression errors in automation.

- mhoye