Revisiting how we build Firefox

Robert Kaiser kairo at kairo.at
Fri Jul 10 23:14:56 UTC 2015

David Rajchenbach-Teller schrieb:
> Of course, this doesn't mean that we should do it immediately. For the
> moment, the only workable strategy we have discussed is that whenever we
> rewrite some part of the UI, we should aim to do it in HTML where
> possible instead of XUL.

That sounds like a reasonable strategy where we are really on par with
the two at this time (and I'd in addition e.g. be really happy if we
could see to kill the XUL box model in favor of the standardized flex
box model everywhere).

That said, I shudder at the thought of more crazy workarounds being
introduced like what we did for making HTML checkboxes on in-content UI
tabs look right. There ought to at least be bugs filed and work ongoing
to fix those things in a proper way (i.e. in this case without hiding
the actual checkbox and creating a virtual one with ::before/::after.

And don't get me wrong, I absolutely want us to close the gap between
HTML and XUL and transition over, just with the proper care and
investment into making HTML a world-class UI language (and I wonder what
the latter needs to compete with in terms of resources and where the
proper priorities in that trade-off lie right at current point in time).

KaiRo