Revisiting how we build Firefox

Chris Hofmann chofmann at mozilla.com
Fri Jul 10 22:32:54 UTC 2015

I'm not so sure that great or dead is a good way to think about XUL.

XUL is an enable technology for many things.  Overlays, Themes, Addons,
Packaging, Installation, Localization, etc...

Unlike a single UI feature like the pockets of the world at least a few of
those things supported by XUL just can't be killed (dead) to continue with
a competive product that reaches hundereds of millions of people in 80
languages.  Some kind of solution will be required for those components of
XUL that we rely on now so its a matter of trading if XUL meets the
requirement adequately v. the cost of replacing or transitioning that part
of the XUL support for something else.

We probably also need to get much more crisp on "Great or Dead" and what
constitutes "Best of the Web" v. feature creep and what constitutes best of
the web for whom and for how long.   But that might be worthwhile starting
a different thread entirely that really focuses on how to manage features
and product changes over the long term for best success.   There is good
reading on these topics that I recently ran across at

https://medium.com/art-of-product-design/how-to-not-suck-at-making-products-1ca875fe98a0\

-chofmann