Revisiting how we build Firefox

David Rajchenbach-Teller dteller at mozilla.com
Fri Jul 10 21:50:58 UTC 2015

On 10/07/15 23:42, Robert Kaiser wrote:
> I personally wonder how this fits at all into the three pillars of
> Firefox development that were presented recently, and where the direct
> user benefit is in "killing XUL". That said, XUL was created as a
> transitional technology because HTML wasn't ready for UI (and it still
> isn't fully there yet, even though much further along) and I'm convinced
> that slowly and step by step we need to move to HTML, even if I think
> that talking of the end goal of getting rid of XUL itself is premature
> at this point.

Well, it's a "great-or-dead" thing. Unless we are willing to commit the
resources to fix and maintain XUL, we should try and get rid of it.

Of course, this doesn't mean that we should do it immediately. For the
moment, the only workable strategy we have discussed is that whenever we
rewrite some part of the UI, we should aim to do it in HTML where
possible instead of XUL.

Cheers,
 David

--