Revisiting how we build Firefox

Eric Shepherd eshepherd at mozilla.com
Thu Jul 9 22:14:36 UTC 2015

Mike Hoye wrote:
> I'm speaking a little past my pay grade here, so don't quote me on
> this, but my impression is that throwing XUL and XBL overboard will
> not on its own cause us to ascend bodily into Platform-Specific UX
> Heaven. It promises to make it a lot easier to work on problems like
> those you describe, though, for everyone who cares about making
> Firefox better.
I agree with this; the problem of Firefox not looking like a standard,
native app on each platform is well-known and long-running. We've gotten
a lot closer over the years, but we have a number of things which are
noticeably different, and others which are different in subtle ways that
you don't quite see but are strangely disconcerting anyway.

But we can't make fixing that a component of the work to switch from XUL
to HTML for rendering Firefox's UX; this is a change that's been needed
for a long time. Let's not overload it with additional requirements
which can be attacked more easily after the transition period.

--

Eric Shepherd
Senior Technical Writer