Firefox Lite

David Rajchenbach-Teller dteller at mozilla.com
Thu Jul 9 06:47:41 UTC 2015

On 09/07/15 01:34, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
>> Removing Finalizationwitness, for instance, will break
>> part of the database and may cause data loss.
>
> Why so, exactly ?

Because that's the implementation of finalizers in JavaScript (not
exposed to the web). We use it e.g. as a safety net for flushing
databases before we garbage-collect them.

>> Removing Promise will break many websites,
>
> And it should, IMHO. It's a misfeature, just like lots of other utterly
> complex asynchronous stuff. The actual, underlying problem is the lack
> of real multithreading and blocking calls.

Well, Promise have a role to play even in a multi-threaded world, as a
facility for rendez-vous between threads. Blocking calls, IMHO, not so much.

Regardless, killing Promise would kill lots of websites, and if you
start breaking random websites, well, Firefox is suddenly much less useful.

Cheers,
 David

--
David Rajchenbach-Teller, PhD