Firefox Lite

Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult enrico.weigelt at gr13.net
Wed Jul 8 23:47:48 UTC 2015

On 29.06.2015 02:11, M V wrote:

Hi,

> 2)  IMO, the binary size matters as well.

Well, that depends ...

If we talking about _real_ binary (IOW: .text pages), it doesnt matter
so much, as long the individual functional units (which might be used
rarely on certain sites) ending up in their own pages. Modern kernels
only load pages which are actually accessed (and rarely used ones get
paged-out again). In theory you could even have an 1G binary, while
only a few pages get actually loaded.

Of course, if all these components (you're talking about) are called
on startup (and that ends up in running though lots of code in lots of
different pages of these components), the code still needs to be loaded,
and your theory would be correct.

The important keyword here is: lazy / on-demand initialization.
(and static initialization). Use it whenever possible, and you're on
a good path.

Perhaps we should do some measurements on which / how many pages are
really loaded in certain scenarios.

--mtx

--
Enrico Weigelt,