Busy indicator API

Mike Connor mconnor at mozilla.com
Mon Jul 6 01:22:45 UTC 2015

On 5 July 2015 at 11:53, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan at ochtman.nl> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 5:11 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at annevk.nl>
> wrote:
> > Is there a reason we shouldn't expose a hook for this?
>
> On the one hand, this seems really useful. On the other hand, I'm
> pretty worried about the UX implications here. I wouldn't want a dozen
> flashing/spinning/moving things in my tab bar...

I agree it's useful, though I suspect they're not thinking about that
aspect.

Anne, I assume the point is not to draw attention to background tabs. There
are much more useful ways to do that, if they're going to ask for a new
API/UI.  Instead, my read is that they're looking for a hopefully-not-janky
busy indicator for "something is actually happening" similar to how network
indicators imply context on mobile OSes.  Given that assumption, I would
argue for this to be only observed in the foreground tab, as otherwise it's
going to be wasteful of attention.  If that's the limitation, I think this
makes a ton of sense.

Does it need to be an API, or would dispatching an event be sufficient?
Something like "busy" and "idle" events would be easy to send from JS, and
UAs would be free to honour or ignore based on context.

-- Mike