Intent to ship: vertical text support (CSS writing-mode and related properties)

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 13:14:29 UTC 2015

On 1/7/15 13:06, Sebastian Zartner wrote:
> CSS Logical Properties Level 1 doesn't even in WD status yet. Therefore
> I assume everything in there can still change fundamentally.
> So are you sure logical properties should be shipped already? Could the
> writing mode features perhaps be shipped independently from the logical
> properties?

The writing-mode features are much less useful/usable without the
support of logical properties. E.g. the default HTML and UA stylesheets
require the use of logical properties to get reasonable rendering
behavior in vertical writing modes for many elements. Author stylesheets
and libraries that want to be usable with both horizontal and vertical
modes will similarly need to use the logical properties.

(Note that Blink, for example, has been shipping prefixed logical
properties along with its prefixed writing-mode implementation for some
time. I don't think shipping one without the other is really workable;
and given that prefixing is now out of fashion, and that the WG seems to
be happy with the properties in the current ED, I think it's appropriate
for us to move forward. I'd expect the browsers that are currently
shipping prefixed versions based on older naming ideas will migrate to
the currently-specified names when they unprefix their implementations.)

JK