restore default toolbar items and add-ons

Asa Dotzler asa at mozilla.com
Wed Mar 12 01:21:47 UTC 2014

First, Australis is gorgeous! (and nicely functional and fast and all
the other good things it's supposed to be.) To those of you who have
been killing yourselves for years to make this happen, wow, what a great
job. You're probably too deep in the few tiny things that don't work
just right to see how great the view is from a bit further away, so I'll
say it again, gorgeous!

We have a great front end so thank you to the front end folks who make
it happen.

(I don't talk with y'all enough these days and I figured I'd sneak in
some praise with my "concern.")

With Australis we're finally going to have a killer toolbar
customization story instead of that crap that Joe and I left you with
about a decade ago. There's just one part of it that's not taking care
of users first. We've given add-ons the ability to claim to be part of
our default set of buttons. I think this is wrong.

Add-on toolbar buttons should not be allowed to claim to be "default"
buttons and be restored to my toolbar when I tell Firefox to "Restore
Defaults."  This button should do what it claims to do and what users
will expect it to do. It should undo what everdamage has been done to
the user's toolbar, whether self-inflicted or by way of a pushy add-on.

I'm raising this here because I think this is more of a policy question
than implementation issue. Also, to the folks that implemented all of
this customization and restore functionality and even the restore add-on
parts, it all seems to work great and I think you did an excellent job.
I can't keep my mouse off of it :)

- A